Friday, March 29, 2013

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Prodigy- sequel to Legend - heartbreaking end. 
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.

The novel picks up quickly after the first one ended and I was quickly back with June and Day. (Though how I have Day pictured in my head is very different than how he is described.) The world is a great dystopia world. The unrest, the government, the ways of the life, it's clear. I don't have questions unanswered. I think this can be a problem for dystopias, but not for this one. 

June and Day are assigned new roles on the "right" side. Sadly, they are separated for a time. Each dedicated to the mission, each one's emotions about the other shaken and tested. This happens in most novels; it worked for this novel because the reason they were "shaken" is because of who they are, not just some pretty face walking by. 

Day and June, well June first, and then Day, figure out the "bigger picture." What side they need to be on, who is the enemy and how they should move forward.

The ending - oh - so sad. Wow, didn't see it coming. Some one tweet me or email me to talk about it. I need the next book. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh this does sound like a good series. I love the covers. :)

    Hope you are feeling well and all is going great for you. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, can I just say THANK YOU SO MUCH for saying the end is sad?

    I'm the sort of reader (okay, I'll just come out and say it, I battle depression) who can read sad stuff, but only when I'm in a strong phase, or know something better comes out of it. I've heard great things about these books, but hadn't dived in yet, and now I know to wait a bit longer. Just in case.

    That might sound bad, but it was a big help, and I appreciate the warning.

    ReplyDelete