Friday, August 10, 2012

Cover shoot - The Owens Legacy: Redemption

When you hop along on the writing blogs, you read a lot about the hard work that goes into writing. And, lets be honest, it IS hard work. The amount of time you spend, thinking, that's right, thinking, is overwhelming let alone the amount of time it takes to put the 100K story down on paper. I recently read a tweet by Colleen Houck - A writer is never on vacation. They are either writing or they are thinking about writing. Raise your hand if you fall under this category.

So while sometimes I wonder why my life's passion drives me crazy - there are some, hands down, fantastic moments when you are a writer. Some things are: the moment you finish the first rough draft - (I sometimes yell Hallelujah. What do you yell?), when someone tells you they were up all night reading your book, when you make your first sale, the release of your book. On Tuesday I got to do one of my favorite things - design the cover!

I feel super fortunate in this because the person who designs my cover is one of my former students - Kenzie Mencer of Kaboom photography. This young lady has had her own business since the beginning of her high school career. Can you say the same?

Anyway - Kenzie, Maggie, and I got together, took a drive into the woods, found a spot, stuck Maggie on wet trees, in trees, and in the sun. I'm lucky that Kenzie knows how a body will be captured on film. She also has no problem telling me "I'm being cliche." Maggie is so adaptable. She's very subtle about her facial expressions and can transform from: dejected, to angry, to sad in a blink of an eye.



Here's Maggie - she has a tendency to pose like it's her senior portraits. If you wanted to see Maggie's senior pics, check out Kenzie's website - the link is above.







This Kenzie accusing me of "stealing" her job as I document. Hey - I need to document.







This is Kenzie and Maggie being professional. They are cousins and terribly funny but when it comes down to doing the work, they are all business.








I love this pose with Maggie - can you guess which twin she is?

Kenzie getting in her shots.
This is right before I video taped Maggie climbing in a tree. I promised her that I would not show the video. It's pretty funny though.








I had a great time and wanted to share it with you! Do you have any cover stories you want to share? LMK.

6 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I wish I could have a photo shoot like this for my book covers. Maybe someday. I just need to find the right models! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky. Maggie was my model for Piper and Ryder from the beginning. I started another book and have no idea what im going to do for a cover!

      Delete
  2. This photo shoot looks like a ton of fun. I think it is awesome that you got to be a part of it and that you have such a connection with the photographer. Awesome!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My photographer is awesome. We talk a lot during the editing process. She tells me if I'm being cliche. I tell her when something is off. We laugh a lot. I'm super fortunate.

      Delete
  3. Oh this is always neat to see. I knew you all went out to do the pictures, but neat to see it here. :) Great share!

    ReplyDelete