Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Avengers - a movie review

I have a secret - I'm a superhero junkee. I grew up with a brother who loved Marvel and DC comics, GI Joes, and Transformers. I loved Gambit and Thor. I think I need a t-shirt for this. 
Anyway - My bf and I went to go see the movie. Now, I didn't have high hopes because sometimes people know these movies out of the ball park and sometimes I feel they should just have left it to my Saturday morning memories. 


This movie was strong in plot and hilariously funny. I'm not kidding you, I laughed throughout the whole thing. If you saw this movie - please support me on this - it was funny. Like the scene with The Hulk and Thor, or The Hulk and Loki. I mean every character was capable and delivered the funny. 


But something this movie has that is super awesome. The hotties. They are all hotties. 


Lets start with Captain America: After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending the USA's ideals.(IMDB) But in this movie, it flashes forward and Steve's in a world that he doesn't quite understand - and several references are made about being "old-fashion" and that's exactly where the movie goes. Being an old-fashioned team. He has the clean cut, take him home to mom and she might try and steal 
him from you look. 




Next Tony Stark - Tony Stark is arrogant, insanely smart, and Iron Man. He's very aware of what is going on around him but his number one flaw is, he is self-centered, and good old Capt America points that out to him. However, throughout the movie we see the hero Tony Stark can be. I fell in love with Robert Downey Jr. in Sherlock Holmes. He has an uncanny ability just to be these 
off the wall characters. 






Barton -I swoon at him. This is the first time I have seen him as a character. Hawkeye is a world-class archer and marksman. His above average reflexes and hand-eye-coordination make him the most proficient archer ever known. (IMDB) He is also trained to throw knifes, darts, balls, bolas and boomerangs. He is natural athlete and this movie he switches sides - totally out of his control. But it is his eyes.  He is super loyal to the Black Widow and if I were her, I would have married him by now.






Thor - I posted about him earlier this year. Thor is a God from another world who was thrown to Earth by his evil brother Loki. In this movie he returns with his ability to control  lightening and his hammer that can knock Iron Man around. He comes into play because he is trying to stop Loki (again). To me, he is a very noble character, very similar to Capt. America - even though is brother is super evil - he loves him. I think this says something - not to mention I think he would be perfect to play Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie- who can get me on that casting decision. 



 
But my favorite - favorite - favorite - hero in this movie is none other than The Hulk. Yep - the green guy. I loved it when Peter said (to Capt America's comment: Dr. You better get angry) See that's my secret - I'm always angry. and then he totally Hulks out. He also was the funniest character in this book. Maybe not the most articulate - but hilarious just 
the same.  


So all you comic book junkees - Did you stay until the end?  The scene shows The Other, the leader of the Chitauri -- the alien race recruited by Loki in his attempt to vanquish the Earth -- talking to the mysterious figure sitting on a throne he has been reporting to throughout the film.  The Other says that they were mislead by Loki and that humans are stronger than they believed.  He tells the figure, "To challenge them is to court death."  The figure turns, revealing the purple face and glowing eyes of Thanos. Thanos loves and worships Mistress Death, a physical embodiment of death that appears in Marvel Comics.   Thanos smiles when The Other uses the phrase "court death": "Because Thanos would like to LITERALLY COURT DEATH, as in take her out for a drink and a movie and back to his place to look at his etchings (Yahoo movies).



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this movie! And I love Hawk Eye too! Very sexy indeed with those arrows :D
    I saw him in the movie The Town, I hated him. But as a hero, Love Him!

    Blog: Arianne Cruz

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've never been a super hero fanatic, but I certainly enjoy them... I think Robert Downey Jr. is *such* a talented actor. Fun post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved this one! :D Great plot, lots of action, and tons of humor. Wonderful combination! :D And yes, a few amazing hotties that make the best. lol. Glad you enjoyed it!

    I will say Stark is a jerk, but that makes his character so perfect too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete