Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda


Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

I picked up this one because I thought that it was paranormal. It's not (ish?). Here is the basic run down - Delaney falls under the ice and literally dies for 11 minutes. She comes back as a miracle and everyone is happy, except something isn't quite right with her. Like how she should have some serious brain damage but doesn't. And then there is this whole thing that she is pulled toward the dead thing.

Delaney has a lot of problems in the life she is grateful for. Like her mom, struggles with ever letting her out of her sight. She has a best friend who is dating this awful girl and she is confused about it. She knows people are going to die and she can't do anything about it.

Then there is Troy - Troy's character was hard for me to understand. He seemed to start off like a nice guy, but I feel he was psychologically damaged and I needed more insight on him. I am still not sure if his issues are stemmed from the damage he got from his situation or is he was already like that. However, he does have violent tendencies in the book - and I find it hard to believe if Delaney was afraid of him, that she would continue to be around him.

Decker - I feel bad for Decker throughout the whole book. he watched his best friend die. He had several things happen indirectly to him and he find comfort in the wrong girl's arms. But I udnerstand it. his world was crazy and he needed something not.

Overall, it was a decent read. A good stand alone novel. I did feel like not everything was tied up at the end, some lingering questions were just left una

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of like you with the Troy storyline, Michelle. The whole time I was reading about him, I just, I needed MORE. And then the way his arc was wrapped up...ugh. I wasn't happy about that. But I really did love Fracture. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've not really heard much about this one, sounds like not much paranormal, but more a feel of it through out the book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete