Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?


I have had the sequel to this on my shelf for awhile and I finally bought this at the beginning of summer and read it today. This book started off strong with action. Mary, our lead, suffers from the loss of a family member, the rejection of a family member, feels the loss of a loved and feels she has to settle for someone, all within the first two chapters. INTENSE.

Mary's characterization might be seen as a dreamer, someone who longs to be out of her village and away from zombies (that's what they are right?). This was my opinion at the beginning, but really, I think she is selfish. Unbelievably selfish. She puts her dreams, her thoughts, first 92.5% of the time. Once did I really see her protect someone in this story. I don't really like selfish people so there is a huge part of me that doesn't like Mary but as far as characterization and depth, Mary is a great one.

Travis and Harry - boys fighting for Mary's love - love she didn't deserve.

The end really slowed down for me. If you don't know me, I love romance. GO TEAM ROMANCE. However, I thought at the end, that the romance aspect between Cass, Harry, Travis, and Mary was overwhelming. I didn't care who she was going to pick - I wanted to know how the Unconsecrated came to exist, what happened to the village, where was the ocean, what happened to earth to make it be in this state of living. One of those questions got unanswered. I fear that the sequel will not staisfy any more of these question.

Some Quick Thoughts
Sister Tabitha was one badd @ss nun.
This book had a lot to do with faith, which with all the angel books out there you would think I would feel they had to do with faith, but they don't. This did.
Travis
Jed
Yeah I am just going to say their names.
Argos the wonder dog!

3 comments:

  1. I read this book some time ago and I must agree with you. I didnt like Mary, nor did I like the questions left at the end. I felt the same about the second book and it caused me to leave "The Dark and Hollow Places" wayyyyyy down at the bottom of my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this when it first came out. And its hard to remember it all. But she was selfish. The other books switch characters and they are all kinda dark. But I did really enjoy them all. None are too heavy on the romance. You do get a few questions answered. I think out of all them the 3rd has the best characters that you don't want to yell at all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this but I've always wanted to because I've heard such great things about it. Your review is the only one that's differed. Protagonists are very important for me and yeah, if she's selfish I don't know if I'm going to enjoy the story as much.

    ReplyDelete